Thursday, October 24, 2013

New Digs

Grandma enjoyed having breakfast later. They woke her up at 8, instead of 6:30. She had to dress first, so breakfast wasn't over until 9. Lunch is at 11 - so she said she wasn't very hungry for lunch. Still, she was happier with that new breakfast schedule. She told JaNae that they woke her up at midnight to get a urine sample via a catheter. Why a catheter and why at midnight? I hope she was mistaken. That is crazy.

Now she is being dismissed from rehab (as of November 2nd), so they are working out the details to get her at Legacy House.

If Grandma can move to Legacy House, I’m thinking she will be so much happier. Every time I visit, she tells me that is where she wants to go. I went visiting teaching last night (to my friends with a mother in Legacy House). They were saying that meals are anytime within a two and a half hour range. If their mom is sleeping in, the staff lets her sleep and brings her breakfast later on. No one has to suggest that. They figure it out on their own. Mark said that the food is great and he often eats there with his mom.

I think we would be so much happier if we moved her sooner (early next week) rather than later. We can move her any time we want; it isn’t like a hospital where you have to wait to be dismissed. Moving furniture is going to be easier before the snow flies.

JaNae arrives on Saturday. Moving Grandma out soon would make JaNae’s visit so much more productive as we would know what Grandma needs from the house and what she needs to buy. I think she will have a fridge at Legacy House. She may want some of her dishes and possibly her microwave. I think we also need to winterize the house and terminate services such as TV and phone. I just called her home number and never got a message that the phone is disconnected.

Having JaNae there during the move is perfect – as she can help Grandma adjust to her new setting, meet people, come up with a reasonable schedule.

I just got a phone call from Charles Jennings (764-1111) at Allen-Hall Mortuary. Months ago I had inquired about a pre-planned burial. My thinking was that if you get the money out of Grandma's bank account then you know the burial costs are covered. Otherwise, if assisted living takes all her money, Medicare takes all but $2000 for burial. (Typical costs are $8000). However, when we mentioned a pre-planned burial to Norm, he said he thought it was a waste of money. I'm not sure what that means. Is he planning on cremation? Anyway, I didn't say anything more as my "interest" is not appreciated.

This Charles said that in addition to taking money out for a pre-planned burial, Medicare allows you to take out money for burial costs of all your children and their spouses. Surprising, huh? If Grandma paid for all of that out of her funds, that would strip her funds quickly. That seems a bit over the top to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment